Smart Choice Between French & Spanish
“Should we learn French or Spanish?”
This question has been a consistent subject of debate in our society, mostly among scholars. Let’s look at some of the information which will help you to make a smart choice between French & Spanish:
- Individual Interest: We do best only when we proceed with our individual interest & passion. We have to find out what is our motivation for learning. We have to find the answer to the question, “What drives me to learn this language?” So if anyone loves Spanish, they should go for Spanish. On the flip side if anyone loves French, obviously they should go for French.
- Career Goals & Opportunities around The World: French and Spanish both are spoken widely throughout the world. Let’s see how we will choose which language to learn-
- If you are a student of business background and want to develop a career in business, choosing the French language would be a smart decision as the cluster of businesses is taking place in France. Knowing French also opens doors to French companies like L’Oreal, Renault, Chanel, Cartier & many more. Many international companies prefer French learners and offer lucrative job opportunities. Speaking French also accelerates opportunities to study at renowned French universities & business schools, such as INSEAD, HEC Paris, etc. which are world-famous.
But if you want to settle in Spain or Spanish speaking countries, then you should learn Spanish. Spanish is spoken mostly in Latin America besides Spain & the countries of Latin America are not developed enough, rather we can call them developing or underdeveloped. So choosing French would be a smart choice for making a career in business. On the other hand, if you aim to settle in Spain or Latin America & develop a career there then learn Spanish.
- If you are majoring in Tourism & hospitality management and want to choose a career in this area, you should choose French to learn as every year France receives the highest number of tourists from all around the globe. Which means France is the world’s top tourist destination. More than 87 million visitors go to France every year. Knowing French can lead you to booming job offers like tour agent/tour guide/many more in French-speaking countries.
- If you are a student of fashion designing & want to make a career in the fashion world, you must choose French because Paris acts as the focal point of the fashion world and is named as a global fashion capital. The city is home to many famous designers such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Balmain, Louboutin, Pierre Cardin, Yves Saint Laurent, Roger Vivier, Thierry Mugler, Dior, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Hermès, Lanvin, Chloé, Rochas, and Céline. The clothing of France is popular all over the world. So learn French to shine in the fashion world.
- If you want to work in International organizations like-The United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross & the International Courts, you can learn French because French is both the working language & an official language in these organizations. French is also the language of the three cities where the EU institutions are headquartered: Strasburg, Brussels, Luxembourg.
Spanish is also the official language of some of these international organizations. So you can choose Spanish depending on where you wish to work.
- If you are interested in becoming a chef, knowing French can help you receive your goal on a large scale because French cuisine is renowned for being one of the finest in the world. Also, you’ll get the opportunity to learn from many great chefs who hail from France.
- There are 29 countries where French is used as their official language. There are roughly 80 million people who use French as their primary language and 220 million total speakers worldwide. In the case of Spanish, there are 15 countries where it is used as their official language, and roughly 470 million people who use Spanish as their primary language, with 560 million total worldwide speakers. So if your goal is to work in a wide range of countries, regardless of region, French would be a better option. But if you wish to be able to communicate with more people then Spanish is the way to go.
- If you are interested in developing a career in film, then you should learn French because France is the birthplace of cinema & is the most successful film industry in Europe in terms of the number of films produced per year which is nearly 300 in number. Over 200 million people see French films each year. The Spanish film industry is also flourishing nowadays. But the French film industry is more expanded & famous. So choosing French over Spanish, in this case, would be a smart idea.
- Both French & Spanish music are popular in recent times. So what you choose depends upon your motivation & interest.
Now let’s see where can we learn French or Spanish in Bangladesh:
- Institute of Modern Languages, University of Dhaka
- Alliance Française de Dhaka
- BRAC Institute of Languages, Brac University
- Daffodil Institute of Languages (DIL)
- Institute of English and other Languages, University of Rajshahi
Communication is power. Nelson Mandela once said:
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.”
So whether you learn French or Spanish, it will always help you to explore more.